This article explains how to empty or clear the cache with various browsers. It also explains how to clear the DNS cache of your computer.
- Go to Firefox and click on the hamburger button:
- Go to History -> Clear recent history…
- Choose the Time range to clear:
- Select all items you want to delete, namely: Browsing & download history, Cookies, Active logins, Cache and Form & search history.
- Click on the Clear Now button.
- Go to Chrome and click on the Customize and control Google Chrome icon:
- Click on History -> History.
- Click on Clear drowsing data:
- Click on the Advanced tab:
- Choose the Time range in the pick list.
- Select the items you want to delete, namely: Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
- Click on the Clear data button.
- Open Safari and go to Safari -> Settings…
- Click on the Advanced button and check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box:
- Finally, from the Develop menu, select Empty Caches:
To specify you want to delete only the data on the device you are currently using:
- Go to Microsoft Edge and select Settings and more:
- Go to Settings -> Profiles -> Sync and select Turn off sync.
Then, you can clear your browsing data in Microsoft Edge:
- Select Settings and more -> Settings -> Privacy, search, and services:
- Under Clear browsing data > Clear browsing data now, click on the button Choose what to clear:
- Under Time range, choose a time range from the drop-down menu:
- Choose Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
- Click on the Clear now button.
How to Clear the DNS Cache
It is possible that you have to restart your modem/box also for the whole thing to be effective.
From the console (CMD), type:
Using the terminal, type:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
To clear the local DNS cache for the current user, use the terminal to type:
nscd -i hosts
To clear the local DNS cache for all users:
nscd -I hosts
For some Ubunto or Debian-based distributions:
sudo service dns-clean restart