However, it should be noted that cPanel has been sold to a venture capital firm: the future of this control panel is therefore unfortunately uncertain. Furthermore, cPanel is based on an outdated language that is difficult to maintain.
It is therefore advantageous in several respects to migrate to the N0C hosting platform, provided that it is done with full knowledge of the facts and by rigorously following the right way of proceeding. This article aims to guide you in this direction.
Advantages of Migrating to N0C
N0C is a complete web hosting platform from A to Z (infrastructure, software etc.). It has been custom-built with modern and optimal programming languages to meet the unique needs of web actors (webmasters, SEO, designers, etc.). It implements the latest web standards and allows for fine-grained management of all aspects of hosting (detailed access logs, visitors, resources, etc.), while maintaining a horizontally scalable model. Each website has its own unique space and is hosted on a different infrastructure (CA, FR and/or CH).
N0C being a white-label , this platform allows to meet the high requirements of webmasters and to adapt it according to your image, the addition of a personalized logo of your brand being allowed if you wish it.
N0C is constantly evolving. Here are some recent additions:
- Mail: possibility to configure the authentication means for your email addresses.
- Domains: access log to see the accesses to your website and new actions in the domain management to be able to renew the SSL certificates.
- New section to manage the security of your domains.
- Ability to easily install and manage WordPress on your web hosting.
- New Backup section to easily restore your files or databases.
- WAF history and custom rules.
Here are some notable improvements as well:
- Simplified CMS/Applications section.
- Improvements to the visitor statistics by domain.
- Improvements to the statistics displayed against disk usage for better readability.
- Changes to the server performance graphs, so that they are more readable and understandable.
- Changes to the Crons section to make it easier to use.
- Simplified DNS zone management for a better user experience.
Points to Consider
As we have said, there are benefits to migrating to N0C. But it is also worth noting some things that will help you make the decision in your best interest:
- The sites are inaccessible during the migration.
- A migration can take from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the number of files and Giga Bytes you are using.
- It can take 30 minutes to 2 hours to generate a new SSL certificate, depending on how fast the DNS change is.
- During the propagation, you may also experience a temporary interruption in email access, but do not worry: messages will still be received normally in your hosting, even during this time.
- The SSL certificate of the domain is not valid for outgoing and incoming e-mail services. A reconfiguration of the email software is required with the host name of the server.
- The email forwarding will have to be created again using a filter in Roundcube.
- PostgreSQL is currently not available on N0C.
- The commercial scripting library Softaculous is not available on N0C. On the other hand, the following CMS have a script in N0C that allows to automate their installation: WordPress, Joomla, PrestaShop, Drupal and OpenCart.
- A site created with SitePad (a site builder) will be functional. However, it will no longer be possible to resume the project from the creation interface: it will be necessary to start a new project from the beginning to modify the site in place.
Procedure for Migrating from cPanel to N0C
Although the process of migrating from cPanel to N0C is mostly automated, you will need to consider the following points.
Plan the Migration
Please be sure to let us know what time would be most convenient for you to migrate, as there will be a service outage during the operation. As this is an automatic migration, our staff is on duty almost 24 hours a day to launch it.
We recommend that you plan to put a maintenance page on your site, which you will post during the migration.
Execute the Migration
The paragraph Migration of a hosting platform to N0C (cPanel only) in the Account Details article explains how to use the hosting management interface to achieve this.
Modify the DNS
If the domains are at PlanetHoster, the DNS will be automatically modified. If not, you will have to change them with your provider.
The DNS are:
After the Migration
After the migration, there will be a DNS zone propagation, which means that you may see the message “Website moved” on your site. Once your DNS cache is refreshed, you will see the site normally.
Passwords for additional FTP accounts will need to be changed on the N0C panel so that you can access them.