Sometimes, users want that when they click on a domain registered at PlanetHoster, they automatically have access to their website. This is called linking a PlanetHoster domain to an existing site.
When a Shopify store is created, a domain address with the extension “.myshopify.com” is given. In the case of a Wix site, the given domain address has the extension “.wix.com“. These services require changing the main entry of a type A record. However, after the link has been made, it is possible that the receipt of emails will not work.1
The purpose of this article is precisely to explain how to properly link your N0C or cPanel domain registered at PlanetHoster to an online store or site2. The final step of this process, connecting the PlanetHoster domain to Shopify and Wix servers, is explained in separate articles.
1 PlanetHoster support is frequently called for help regarding this matter.
2 Sometimes, a customer may want their emails to be at Google. These types of scenarios do not impact the article.
If you need more information during your reading, please refer to these articles:
PlanetHoster’s Glossary also contains explanations of multiple topics. We invite you to consult it as well.
Step 1 — Create The World Hosting Account
Be sure to create the The World hosting account that will be associated with your store or site.
Step 2 — Link Your Shopify or Wix platforms to a PlanetHoster domain
Let’s say you have created a store or a site called “linktest.myshop.com” and you want to link it to your PlanetHoster domain, which, for our example we will call “yourdomain.ca“.
The procedure depends on whether you have an N0C or cPanel account.
Domains With an N0C Account
- Locate the domain to which you want to link your site.
- Click on the DNS button:
- Change the IP address so that the A record points to your site (for Shopify, enter “188.8.131.52” and for Wix, enter “184.108.40.206“):
- Replace your CNAME www record so that it leads to the address of your store or website (in our example, “linktest.myshopify.com“):
- Note the IP address of your PlanetHoster server:
- If a CNAME“mail.yourdomain.ca” record type is present3, delete it by clicking on the Delete DNS icon:
- If an A “mail.*.com” record already exists, make sure it points to the IP of your PlanetHoster server. If not, create an A “mail.yourdomain.ca” record that points to the IP of your PlanetHoster server:
3 If the CNAME is not present, then normally a record of type A “mail.planethoster.com” already exists.
Domains With a cPanel Account
- Go to https://my.planethoster.com.
- Go to MY SERVICES > Hosting Management.
- Locate the domain to which you want to link your site and and click on the icon under LOGIN (see the article Overview of Hosting Accounts).
- Click on the DNS Zone Editor icon:
- Click on the Edit icon next to your A record associated with the domain name:
- Change the IP address so that the A record points to your site (for Shopify, enter “220.127.116.11” and for Wix, enter “18.104.22.168“), and click on the Save Record button:
- Replace your CNAME www record so that it leads to the address of your site (in our example, “linktest.myshop.com“) and click on the Save Record button:
- Note the IP address of your PlanetHoster server (see the article Account Details).
- If a CNAME “mail.domaincpaneltest.ca” record type is present4, delete it by clicking on the Delete button:
- Create a record of type A “mail.domaincpaneltest.ca” that points to the IP of your PlanetHoster server and click on the Add Record button:
4 If the CNAME is not present, then normally a record of type A “mail.planethoster.com” already exists. The next step is then unnecessary.
Step 3 — Connect your PlanetHoster Domain to the Platform
After completing the process explained above, it is necessary to connect your PlanetHoster domain to your existing online store or website. With the connection method explained here, your online store or website will host your DNS, while your domain will remain registered with its current registrar. With PlanetHoster, you will not only continue to pay and renew your domain with PlanetHoster, but you will also manage its settings.
As the procedure differs from one platform to another, please read the appropriate article: